The courthouse through the years
* March 10, 1896 -- In need of a larger structure, commissioners advertised for competitive designs from architects for the fourth courthouse. Entries were due May 5, 1896.
* May 11, 1896 -- From 15 submissions, commissioners chose courthouse sketch by Brentwood S. Tolan of Fort Wayne on the recommendation of W.M. Goss, chairman of sanitary engineering at Purdue University.
* Dec. 22, 1896 -- Allen County Commissioners awarded a $4,155 contract to C.E. Moellering & Co. to demolish the third courthouse.
* January-February 1897 -- Construction bids were sought and opened.
* March 1, 1897 -- More bids were sought after the original ones were rejected as being at least $100,000 too high. It "would impose on the taxpayers a heavier burden than would be acceptable to the majority," a newspaper said. Commissioners proposed "cheaper marble and less of it . . . cheaper tiling and a less ornate power station."
* May 29, 1897 -- The original construction contract for $479,336 was awarded to James Stewart and Co., of St. Louis. All bids totaled $582,263.33. With changes, interior decorations and furnishings, the final cost was $817,553.59.
* Nov. 17, 1897 -- Cornerstone was laid in northeast corner.
* August 1899 -- Worker Louis LeGrew, 22, fell 14 feet to his death when a scaffold broke. He was crushed by a wheelbarrow filled with cement.
* Nov. 17, 1900 -- William G. Andrews & Co. received a $33,000 contract for interior decorations, including frescos, murals, painting and other art.
* Sept. 23, 1902 -- Building was dedicated.
* Jan. 8, 1940 -- Courthouse debt was paid off.
* May 1, 1975 -- Courthouse was rededicated after more than $1 million was spent to refurbish it.
* 1976 -- Allen County Courthouse listed on National Register of Historic Places.
* Aug. 30, 1994 -- Newly formed Allen County Courthouse Preservation Trust holds its first meeting to discuss fund raising for mural restoration.
* January 1995 -- Mural restoration expert Perry Huston is brought to Fort Wayne to assess the condition of the murals after "War & Peace" begins to pull away from the rotunda wall.
* February 1995 -- Mural restoration begins.
* Nov. 20, 1995 -- Miss Liberty statue taken down for repairs after her fingers fell onto a car.
* May 18, 1996 -- The first restored mural, "Peace and Prosperity," is reattached to rotunda wall.
* April 30, 1998 -- Construction begins on Courthouse Green park project. Several buildings along Court Street demolished.
* Oct. 15, 1999 -- Courthouse Green park is dedicated. Total cost of the project was $3.2 million.
* Sept. 23, 2002 -- Building rededicated.