The best market, Barr none
By KEVIN LEININGER
from the archives of The News-Sentinel
In 1910, two stone pavilions, supported by massive stone columns, were erected along Barr Street between Berry and Washington. A huge wrought-iron arch connected the two sections at the Barr and West Wayne streets intersection. It cost the city $20,000 to build the pavilions, which were designed by Fort Wayne's most renowned architectural firm, Wing & Mahurin.
During its heyday, the market operated day and night, six days a week. But by the 1950s, not only had business decline, but the condition of the pavilions had declined as well.
Thus ended the 120-year history of the Barr Street Market, which had opened in 1837 when Sam Hanna donated land for a market and city hall. In 1973, the market area was partially restored, but never again achieved the same popularity.
--July 17, 1982