The cornerstone of the Allen County Courthouse was laid at the northeast corner of the building in 1897. A copper box inside the cornerstone contains items including:
* The first request for Civil War volunteers received in Fort Wayne
* Corn, wheat, a bottle of oil and a bottle of wine
* A silver
souvenir spoon engraved with a picture of the Old Fort
* A photograph of the Spy Run Baseball Club
* A catalog of the Fort Wayne Electrical Corp.
* A soldier's button and a Native American ornament from the battlefield where Chief Little Turtle's warriors beat Gen. Josiah Harmar's troops near Lakeside Park in 1790
The cornerstone will not be opened during the rededication ceremonies observing the building's 100th anniversary.